Tuesday 4 March 2014

Harvest Monday & Community Gardening!


First up, here's a pic of my main harvest for the week:


I've also harvested more kale, silverbeet, amaranth leaves and cherry tomatoes that didn't make it in front of the camera! I haven't harvested a huge amount but I'm only cooking for myself at the moment, and this is enough that I rarely buy any other vegetables. At the moment I'm only really buying onions, garlic, mushrooms and occasionally sweet potato. It's very satisfying to know that almost all of the veggies I'm eating have come from my own back yard! It also leaves me more money to buy yummy organic fruit :) I don't really garden to save money on veggies, but I suppose it is a nice advantage.

If you'd like to see more harvests, head over to Daphne's

In other gardening related news...

Today I went to the first working bee of the semester for the Melbourne University Community Garden. I was involved with it a little in 2013 but I took the second semester off uni and honestly just got a bit lazy about going to working bees! I regret that I stopped going, because I enjoyed the working bee a lot today and I've definitely missed out on meeting lovely people and seeing the garden evolve. I suppose I will just have to make up for it this year. The garden is relatively new but it's looking great and has a really nice community feel to it. If you live in Melbourne and you're interested in checking it out, have a look at the garden's website or Facebook page (this is updated more regularly). Community gardening is such a wonderful way to use public space, create a great community and produce healthy food.

That's it for this week.

Thanks for reading, 

Jess

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought community gardening would be fun. I've never done it though as I have enough space here at my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! :) We don't have separate plots or anything; it's just one shared space, so I suppose it's less about getting produce than about creating a community and sharing knowledge/skills, but the produce is a nice bonus! I'm sure if you decided to join a community garden people would benefit greatly from your wonderful gardening knowledge :)

      Delete