Sunday 16 March 2014

Harvest Monday


Here are my two little harvests for the week. I got my first ever lebanese cucumbers (I definitely put them in far too late!) as well as FINALLY my first beans for the season. A lot of my bean plants died in the heatwave we had here in Melbourne, so it has been a terrible year for them. Oh well, I'll enjoy them while they last and look forward to when I can harvest broad beans and peas. I also harvested my first ever radish and ate it in a salad with a satay-type sauce. I like the texture of radishes but not the flavour, so this was a good way to use it. The amaranth also went into my salad (cooked with noodles), as did some tomatoes, rocket, capsicum, herbs and a cucumber. The eggplant went, along with several others, to my mother and aunt. I'm not a huge fan of it and they didn't grow any this year so I thought they would enjoy it more than me!




This week I've been planting baby cos lettuce, more brassicas and more root veggies. I just went to the Diggers harvest festival in Dromana and bought kiwi berry, blueberry and New Zealand (even though they originate from South America) yam plants, as well as the following seeds: barletta onions (an early variety), dwarf snow peas, ruby brussels sprouts, dwarf sugar snap peas, yukomo giant snow peas (these peas can get up to 14cm long!), purple podded dutch peas and greenfeast peas. I've definitely got a lot of planting to do!

Head over to Daphne's Dandelions to check out more harvests from around the world.

Thanks for reading!
Jess 



2 comments:

  1. Your harvest looks fantastic!

    It's such fun to see what people are growing, all around the world.

    ReplyDelete