Friday 21 March 2014

How I make compost tea + garden update



First up, I thought I'd quickly explain how I make compost tea to use as a fertiliser for my garden. It's probably not the most effective way of doing it but I'm not into doing anything fancy - I just like gardening to be relaxed and fun! All I do is keep a polystyrene box and add some compost to it every now and then, as well as chuck random weeds and bits and pieces from the garden into it, and fill it with water. I let it sit for a few days and then poor it onto my garden. Very simple! 

Box filled with compost and random bits and pieces!
Box filled with water...that's all I do!

Anyway, here are a few pics that I took in the garden yesterday.

Heaps of long capsicums on their way!

Watermelon



Listada di gandia eggplant (I am saving this one for seed), calendula and marigolds

Listada di gandia eggplant - so pretty!

My amaranth is starting to produce seeds! It has been a wonderful plant to grow and it will definitely become a staple in my Summer crops.

Red cabbage seedling

Coriander - this is self seeding all over the place. Can't have too much of it!

Coriander, horse radish, various brassicas and spaghetti squash (no fruit on it and I'm not sure I'll get anything from it unfortunately!)

Pumpkins are almost ready to harvest!

Lemon tree surrounded by pumpkin plants

I won't have any shortage of pumpkins!



These are the two pumpkin plants growing out of my compost. I'm not sure that this photo really does justice to how far they've spread! There are at least ten on these two vines, plus several others on vines on the other side of the garden.

And finally, my funny bunch of chickens!


Thanks for reading,
Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment