Monday 12 May 2014

Harvest Monday


Welcome to Harvest Monday, hosted by Daphne at Daphne's Dandelions. You can check out her page to see harvests from herself and other people around the world.

I've been picking enough salad greens to have a salad every two to three days. This usually includes various types of lettuce, ruby streaks mustard, tokyo bekana, spinach, rocket, basil, coriander and capsicum from the garden. This particular salad also contained olives, dukkah, pepitas and 'Yumm' original salad dressing. I never really enjoyed salads until recently. I think the joy of picking the greens from my own garden, adding extra yummy things like olives and cheese, and using a delicious salad dressing have all contributed to my change of heart!


I also let my siblings pick these two little carrots from the garden when they visited. They weren't quiet ready, but how could I say no to children wanting to eat something healthy straight from the garden?! The purple carrot, grown from Diggers seeds, was particularly sweet and tasty. I will certainly be letting one of these go to seed so that I have plenty of seeds to plant in future, and so that they can self seed in the garden. 

 I also picked my watermelon. This is the first watermelon I have ever grown and considering that, I am happy with it. It wasn't as tasty or crisp as I would have liked, so it wasn't great for eating fresh,  but I chopped it up and froze it to add to smoothies in future. I will definitely have to give watermelons another go next year! If anyone has any tips on how to improve the taste or texture, I would love to hear them! 

I also decided to make pesto with (almost) the last of the basil and some rocket, which I have a lot of. 

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product unfortunately, but here are all the ingredients ready to be blended together! I ate some of it with pasta, and froze the rest for an easy dinner later down the track. Yum!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely harvests. And I wish I could help you with the watermelon, but I've never grown it. I'll eat it if it is put in front of me, but it has never been my favorite. I tend to grow cantaloupe as my melon of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daphne! Isn't it funny that they are reasonably similar fruits, yet you like cantaloupe and I can't stand the stuff, but love watermelon!

      Delete