Friday 22 November 2013

What's wrong with my carrot? 

I was picking carrots today and discovered that the top of this one was covered in what I'm pretty sure are aphids. I have never experienced this before, and it was only on one carrot which was interesting. The carrot itself and the leaves were fine. 

So...
Are they aphids? What causes them? What can I do to prevent them?

Any advice would be appreciated! 


Aside from that, the garden is doing well, and starting to get a bit more colourful!





My first tomato flowers have appeared. 


The borage is flowering.



Aaaaand the chickens are still just doing their thing.


Jess 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess, Welcome to the world of food garden blogging! Good luck with your garden and chooks... to control aphids in the future you need to have some flowering plants, especially flowering brassicas, to attract lady birds who eat aphids for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Old brassicas and other flowering, old vegetable plants, are a wonderful tool.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome and advice! I am about to place a seed order so I will be sure to order some flowering plants! Jess

      Delete