Tuesday 14 January 2014

Harvest Monday and helping my garden survive the heatwave! 



Leek, carrot, herbs and rocket. I have also harvested a couple of yellow cherry tomatoes but they didn't make it in front of the camera!


Salad I made with homegrown potatoes, rocket and herbs, as well as some of the last of my beautiful chooks' eggs, olives, cheese, sundried tomatoes and mayo (this one).

Seeds are sprouting

 Broccoli seedlings. The egg carton idea seems to work quite well as long as I keep the soil hydrated.

Eggplant flower

Baby capsicum!


 And plenty more tomatoes on the way...






I bought some bird netting from Bunnings to cover some of my tomatoes and other plants, and it has worked well so far. I will probably buy some more to cover the rest of my garden.

Oh, and check out these funny shaped tomatoes! Anyone know what they might be? I don't remember planting anything like this so could they be roma tomatoes from the compost?

I've been watering my garden a lot to try and get it through the heatwave we are currently experiencing (4 days of 40C+ weather). Most things seem to be surviving OK, though I've lost a few cucumber seedlings.

Check out Daphne's Dandelions to see how other people are using their harvests.

Thanks for reading, and happy gardening!

Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment